- CONSTRUCTION OF BATHROOM BLOCK – Update 1
A Preliminary Services Contract was signed with Cornerstone Building Ltd on 11th February 2019 for the design and drawing of the Bathroom Block at Samadhi Vihara. This contract includes the following:
- Arranging architect to liaise with Selwyn District Council and prepare Resource consent application, to reflect change of use of property.
- Design and drawing of new bathroom block – will include 2 x male toilets & 2 x female toilets and 2 x accessible toilets with showering facilities.
- Building consent documentation and application
- Arranging Surveyor, Geotechnical Engineer, Civil/Structural engineer, Planning consultant as required
- Project Management will be by Cornerstone Building Ltd
- Meditation Kuti – Update (2019/03/01)
A total of three Meditation Kuti have now been constructed at Samadhi Vihara.
Construction of the third Kuti was completed in February and a “Kuti Sasana Puja” is planned for the 9th March 2019 at 9.00am, to offer the Kuti to the Vihara. The Puja is sponsored by the donors of the Kuti.
The 9th of March is a very special day for the Samadhi Vihara as we will also be celebrating the 2nd Anniversary of the Vihara relocating at 358 Maddisons Road on that day.
- Meditation Kuti – Space for Solitary Meditationditation Kuti
Up to 20 Meditation Kuti (Huts) are planned for the Samadhi Buddhist Vihara and will be constructed over the next 5 years.Construction of the first Meditation Kuti at the Samadhi Buddhist Vihara commenced in early July 2018 and will be completed by mid-August 2018. Construction of the second Meditation Kuti will commence in August 2018 and is expected to be completed in September2018.
Once completed, the Kuti will be available to devotees for solitary meditation practice in a quiet, natural setting.
- Upgrading Temple Electricity System – from Single to 3 Phase
The current single phase electricity system at the Samadhi Buddhist Vihara is not strong enough to meet the demand for electricity at the temple. With the new developments being planned for the Vihara, it is critical that the system is upgraded to a 3 phase system (63AMPs per phase) to meet the anticipated demands.Orion NZ will provide the service and Mr. Samantha Perera, is the Electrician who will help with upgrading the system. Applications for the proposed upgrade have been submitted to the City Council and to Orion NZ, to connect to their electrical distribution network.
Project Coordinator: Mala Nissanka
- Water Heater /Hot Water Cylinder for Kitchen
A Rheem Mains Pressure water heater was purchased and installed in the Samadhi Vihara Kitchen/Dining building, in July 2018. The hot water cylinder has a storage capacity of 45 L and can deliver up to 40 L of hot water per minute. To complete the project a cupboard will be built to house the water cylinder.
Project Coordinator: Aruna Lakmal
These projects have been made possible because of the generous donations and support we have received from our donors. The Samadhi Buddhist Vihara Trust gratefully acknowledges the kindness and generosity of these donors who have contributed towards the projects.It is only with your support that we can continue to maintain and to develop the Vihara. If you wish to support or contribute to these projects in any way, please contact the Samadhi Buddhist Vihara, Ph. 03 3499925